While every season offers a unique travel nursing experience, summertime is arguably the most ideal for travel and adventure.
You may be thinking “But summer is the best time of the year in my hometown! I can’t miss it!” but trust us, summer is generally the ‘best’ time of the year anywhere you go in Canada. Along with summer comes music festivals, fireworks displays, a wide variety of outdoor activities, beach days, and exploration of nature.
Don’t believe us?
Here are 6 things that make travel nursing in summer the best time of the year:
1. Cultural Festivals: Many cities and towns across Canada host a variety of festivals that celebrate cultures from across the world, and they’re almost always held during the summer.
Vancouver is home to the Caribbean Days Festival, Calgary celebrates Globalfest, Regina is known for Mosaic: A Festival of Cultures, and Winnipeg offers a unique Icelandic experience at their Islendingadagurinn festival.
Whether you’re indulging in a Caribbean beef patty, watching Ukrainian dancers, shopping for Indian saris, or watching an epic Viking battle, cultural festivals have something for everyone.
2. Fireworks: Fireworks displays are visually stunning, but when they are coupled with musical soundtracks they become absolutely magical.
Numerous Canadian cities host incredible fireworks displays during the summer, including Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Timmins, and Ottawa, with most cities and towns hosting displays on Canada day.
3. Hiking & Camping: Summer is the ideal time of year to get out & explore Canada’s thousands of hiking trails. Whether it’s a short local hike, a trek through the Rocky Mountains, or a climb to an amazing viewpoint, you can swap out your regular summer trails for new ones this summer when you travel nurse.
Summer is also the safest (and funnest!) time of year to go camping. Rather than bring a tent with you on assignment, you can often find one for cheap on Craiglist or enlist in a service such as Rent-A-Tent or Airbnb to rent a tent for a short period of time.
4. Get Active: Whether you already have a favourite outdoor activity or are looking to try something new, summer is the perfect time for it.
Golfing, kayaking, tennis, waterskiing, biking, swimming, canoeing, frisbee, ziplining, soccer, paddleboarding… the list is endless!
5. Music Festivals: Whatever your taste in music is, there’s a festival for it. Folk festivals, jazz festivals, EDM festivals, country festivals – all are popular nationwide.
A few of our Top Choices include: Osheaga (Montreal, QC), Squamish Music Festival (Squamish, BC), Sled Island Festival (Calgary, AB), Saskatoon Folkfest (Saskatoon, SK), Saskatoon Jazz Festival (Saksatoon, SK), Big Valley Jamboree (Camrose, AB), and Centre of Gravity (Kelowna, BC).
6. Enjoy The Sun! No matter where you are in Canada, you’re going to get some sun this summer. Enjoy it! Read a book outside, grab a friend and go for a picnic, sip a cocktail on a patio. All the little things you normally do in summer back home will become even more interesting when you get to try them in a new location.
While there may be things you look forward to in your hometown every summer, you have already experienced them, so why not try something new this year?
If a summertime adventure sounds good to you, get in touch with our Recruitment Team to learn what positions are currently available.
You can also call us, toll-free, during business hours at 1-877-525-3870.